PART III-POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
I. AFFILIATION PROCEDURES
Affiliation with the New York State Council for the Social Studies is open to groups of
individuals with the same purpose(s) and goal(s) as NYSCSS.
A. ADVANTAGES OF AFFILIATION
1. Professional Involvement:
Affiliated Councils are eligible for representation on the Board of Directors of the New York
State Council for the Social Studies based on the number of joint members.
Representatives to the Board of Directors must be current NYSCSS members.
Affiliated Councils and officers are listed in NYSCSS’s “Who’s Who in Social Studies” that is
sent to all Affiliated Council Presidents. Affiliated Councils receive newsletters, publications,
and announcements from other Affiliate Councils and Special Groups: Officers of Affiliated
Councils are invited to participate in a special meeting of Affiliated Council Presidents at the
Affiliated Councils are encouraged to recommend members to the various statewide
committees that formulate positions and recommendations for improving Social Studies
education and that “watchdog” policies of the State Education Department, the Board of
Regents and the State Legislature.
Affiliated Councils are encouraged to recommend candidates for the many awards given by NYSCSS to recognized excellence in teaching and professional service.
Affiliated Councils have the right to include “Affiliated with the New York State Council for
the Social Studies” on stationery and promotional materials.
2. Council Development
a. Financial Aid-Affiliated Councils may request seed money for local activities and mailings.
While this money must be repaid, this service helps Affiliated Councils avoid the
“cash flow” problems that plague dues-supported organizations.
b.Limited Tax Exemption—Affiliated Councils, as integral parts of NYSCSS are entitled under
certain conditions, to use the NYSCSS Tax Exempt Certificate for certain types of local
activities. This service helps reduce costs to Affiliate Councils and local members .
c.Membership drives – Affiliated Councils are entitled to a set of mailing labels of NYSCSS
members who reside in the geographical area covered by the Council. This service
provides a list of potential members and facilitates membership solicitation and advertising
of Affiliated Council activities.
d. Program Development – Affiliated Councils can request aid in developing local programs or
establishing contacts with speakers that might provide viable local activities for
In addition, officers of NYSCSS will attend membership meetings to update Affiliated
Councils of the latest trends concerning Social Studies education at the state and national
e. Exclusive Support – NYSCSS does not encourage the organization or affiliation of more
than one council within the same geographic area.
B. REQUIREMENTS FOR AFFILIATION
1. Goals – General goals consistent with those of NYSCSS.
2. Joint Membership – A minimum of fifteen (15) members who are members of NYSCSS or
20% of the local’s membership, whichever is less.
3. Regular Meetings – A minimum of two (2) meetings per membership year. The Board of
Directors has interpreted this to mean at least two Council activities.
4. Membership List – Submission of a list of members holding joint membership in both NYSCSS
and the Affiliated Council.
5. Timely Application – Completion of NYSCSS Affiliation application and submission to NYSCSS
by June 1 of each year.
C. REQUIREMENTS FOR REPRESENTATION – NYSCSS Board of Directors
1. Affiliated status with NYSCSS.
2. Minimum of fifteen (15) joint NYSCSS/Affiliated Council Members, or 20% of the local’s
membership, whichever is less.
D. FORMULA FOR REPRESENTATION – NYSCSS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
115 or more
NOTE: Associated Groups are entitled to only one seat on the NYSCSS Board of Directors regardless of the number of joint members above the fifteen minimum.
E. TERM OF AFFILIATION
1. Affiliation is granted annually and is renewed each year before the annual convention.
2. Newly Affiliated Councils can be approved at any time. Representation on the NYSCSS Board of Directors will be granted only if the affiliation application is received 30 days prior to one of the regularly scheduled meetings of the Board of Directors.
F. PROCEDURES FOR AFFILIATING
1. If previously unaffiliated, request advice and information from the NYSCSS Vice President.
2. The complete application will be evaluated by the NYSCSS Vice President upon submission.
3. If previously affiliated, complete the Affiliation Application and submit with a list of affiliating
4. The affiliated council will be certified to NYSCSS by the NYSCSS Board of Directors.